CANTERBURY LAW GROUP, LLP, Scottsdale, AZ (2012 – Present)
Partner – Manage boutique legal office with emphasis on real property transactions, real property litigation, high net worth domestic relation disputes, bankruptcy and federal litigation. One of largest clients remains American Land Fund (“ALF”).
AMERICAN LAND FUND, Scottsdale, AZ (2007 – 2012)
Vice President of Real Estate Operations, Western United States–
Proven real estate operator who over saw western U.S. land development assets owned by $226mm private equity real estate fund founded by Dr. Peter Linneman, Director of the Wharton School of Real Estate at the University of Pennsylvania, which acquired and processed entitlements for 25,000+ residential home sites across 15 master plans in 7 different states.
• Established Real Estate Operator with direct and daily interface with company executives, government staff and elected officials, joint venture operating partners, third party consultants, brokers, professionals and fund investors. Serve as legal counsel negotiating with opposing counsel, joint venture partners and government officials. Appear at public hearings (e.g. City Council) to secure entitlements and zoning for underlying land parcels.
• Proven Asset Manager who actively oversees monthly, quarterly and annual budgets and actual spending related thereto. Locate vendors, gather competing bids, and select third party real estate service providers including engineers, lawyers, land planners, landscape architects, geologists, environmental engineers, political consultants, brokers, appraisers, surveyors and other real estate professionals to aid business plan execution. Conduct monthly asset management updates, teleconference and in person Sponsor meetings to ensure project advancement, budget compliance and on time project delivery. Maintain contact with investors with project updates and specific information when needed.
• Rigorous Asset Reporting with monthly, quarterly and annual asset reports containing real property updates, market trends, comparable sales, budget reconciliations, mark-to-market forecasted investment returns, forecasted IRR, budget variances and proposed change orders.
PULTE-DEL WEBB, Las Vegas, NV (2005 – 2007)
Land Acquisition & Development Manager – Team member responsible for land acquisition, entitlement and land development activities for Las Vegas division of nation’s second largest publicly traded homebuilder which delivered over 9,500 Las Vegas residences in 2005 through 2007. Originate, prepare and present extensive Feasibility Packages to Company’s Asset Management Committee to secure deal approvals and funding.
• Serve as Project Manager who personally oversaw contractor bids, budgets, installation of offsite improvements, in-tract improvements including grading, wet and dry utilities, curb, gutter, streets, sidewalks, and spine walls that enabled final delivery of finished lots ready for vertical construction.
RHODES HOMES, Las Vegas, NV (2004 – 2005)
Corporate Counsel – Served as in-house attorney for large private homebuilder managing a wide variety of litigation, transactional, structured finance and employment issues. Company delivered over 400 home closings per year.
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT, San Diego, CA (1999 – 2004)
Senior Staff Attorney –Chief Law Clerk for the Honorable Thomas J. Whelan.
• Researched, analyzed, and delivered weekly verbal presentations and proposed written judicial opinions for the disposition of complex federal litigation involving real property, patent, copyright, trademark and employment issues.
PILLSBURY WINTHROP SHAW PITTMAN, LLP, San Diego, CA (1997 – 1998)
Associate Attorney – Contributed to all aspects of complex commercial litigation including motion practice, depositions, settlements, discovery, case filings, and client coordination.
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT, San Diego, CA (1996 – 1997)
Judicial Law Clerk – Clerked for Chief Judge Judith N. Keep who, at the time, carried the nation’s heaviest federal weighted caseload. Analyzed, researched, and prepared civil and criminal bench memoranda and proposed judicial opinions.
Professional Certifications and Licenses
Licensed Attorney: Arizona, California & Nevada
Licensed Real Estate Broker: California
Professional Affiliations and Awards
URBAN LAND INSTITUTE
• ULI Residential Neighborhood Development Council Member (Gold)
• FEWA Forensic Expert Witness Association, Board Member
UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO SCHOOL OF LAW, San Diego, CA (J.D.)
•San Diego Law Review • Merit Scholarship recipient
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA, Charlottesville, VA (B.A.)